[stgt] tgt-admin behavior with multiple targets and same account name

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 1 23:44:54 CET 2010

Thanks for the fast response Tomasz.

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 23:30 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> On 01.03.2010 23:00, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
>
> > Can somebody tell me why it is implemented that way (instead of using
> > the existing account) ?
> >
> > I couldn't find anything in the SPECS (RFC 3270) about multiple targets
> > having the same username/password. Please send me a snippet if it is
> > otherwise. (Even if that is the case, shouldn't we be failing the second
> > operation instead of silently removing the old one ?)
>
> It's not defined in RFC, as it is how it's currently handled in
> tgt-admin (as it turns out, not very well).
>
> I wrongly assumed that if users will be used, they will be different for
> each target.
> This is because we can't add another user with the same name; there is
> also (I think?) no way to change user password without removing the user
> and adding it again.

Yes, that is true w.r.t the current tgtadm interface. Do you think we
should add an interface to change only the password ?

> So removing the user before it's added sounded like a good way to handle it.
>
> The fix would be to check what users each target have and only
> remove/update the user when needed.
> Note that it will be still impossible to have two targets with the same
> users, but using a different password.

So, you are planning to check if the user name is previously defined, if
so, make sure the password is same and proceed without adding ?

Or

Just fail tgt-admin when tgtadm of account creation fails ?