[stgt] tgt-admin behavior with multiple targets and same account name

Tomasz Chmielewski tch at wpkg.org
Tue Mar 2 00:19:30 CET 2010

On 01.03.2010 23:44, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:

>> I wrongly assumed that if users will be used, they will be different for
>> each target.
>> This is because we can't add another user with the same name; there is
>> also (I think?) no way to change user password without removing the user
>> and adding it again.
>
> Yes, that is true w.r.t the current tgtadm interface. Do you think we
> should add an interface to change only the password ?

Yep, I think it would be better to just pass a new password when the
user is there (which would update this setting for all targets using
this username); removing the user, adding it with a new password, and
re-adding it to all targets which had it previously complicates it a bit.

>> So removing the user before it's added sounded like a good way to handle it.
>>
>> The fix would be to check what users each target have and only
>> remove/update the user when needed.
>> Note that it will be still impossible to have two targets with the same
>> users, but using a different password.
>>

> So, you are planning to check if the user name is previously defined, if
> so, make sure the password is same and proceed without adding ?

I want to check if the user is there - if it is there, then don't remove
it / don't create it with a (possibly) different password.

Something like this. Which too may lead to some confusions (i.e.
updating targets).
So setting a new user password with tgtadm would be best.

> Just fail tgt-admin when tgtadm of account creation fails ?

If tgtadm fails, tgt-admin would fail, too.

But if we wanted to create a user for each target (even if the user is
the same), this would be bad, too (as it would be impossible to use the
same user for multiple targets).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org