[wpkg-announce] Announcement: WPKG 1.1.0 release

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Wed May 27 12:58:39 CEST 2009

Rainer Meier <r.meier at wpkg.org> writes:

> We are using SVN and not CVS. In CVS it's normal to use tags and branch-tags. In
> SVN revisions can be moved (moves are versioned as well). So the
> current-development branch still exists but is currently empty. The code
> previously under current-development has moved to the stable/1.1/ directory now
> as it became stable.
>
> As always only the latest version of a brancht/tree is managed I don't see a
> reason yet to use tags to mark revisions. The latest one is to be used.

Tag is a way to identify a particular revision, for example:
revision 74 tagged as 1.1.

> So I am most probably going to check in the first 1.2 testing release into
> current-development/1.2 and when it's going to be released it's moved to the
> stable/ tree.

What will be the next diff? A complete checkin, or a diff to the
previous development?

> Probably you're used to CVS versioning where moving is uncommon (means a
> re-checkin) but rather tagging and branch-tagging is usual. In SVN moving the
> files to directories is similar to branch-tagging in CVS.

I'm not familiar with SVN, I personally track you SVN with bzr-svn, this
permit to make some tests and commit locally (well, if I had some things
to do ;-)).

Don't you loose some history? (bzr-svn tell my I can not merge the 1.1
into my local branch because there is not common ancestor).

I'm reading the SVN Book[1], it seems that tagging[2] and branching[3] is more
common than moving.

One problem of moving, is that I can not do:
svn log https://wpkg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wpkg/wpkg/stable/1.1/

and expect to have something like with:
svn log -l 10 https://phpmyadmin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/phpmyadmin/tags/RELEASE_2_11_0/phpMyAdmin

For me, history of a project is a line of the trunk (current-development
for WPKG), and some branch where releases are made, etc.

It permit DagFixes[4], but as you said, only the last version is
managed, so not sure it's usefull.

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/