[wpkg-users] [wpkg] Feature requests and questions

Kristofer Kiik kristofer.kiik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 15:26:44 CET 2005

> > > 2. Also it would be good if WPKG would check whether the installer is available (if it exists and can be accessed) and skip the entry if not. At the moment WPKG just says "D'oh" and stops the whole script.
> > This is a minor issue. The administrator is supposed to test things...
> > If anything, it would be a great idea to specify which errors are fatal, which are not.
> True, it is a minor error but an annoying one if you only forgot to set the file permissions and just can't figure out why the hell it isn't working. ;)

It logs the error in event log for you to "figure out why the hell it
isn't working"  :p

> > > 3.b. Maybe even multiple checks so that if file A is already installed it skips the installation of file A but if B is not installed it will install B. -> Check and install IDs?
> > Same thing, already supported
> Really? How would an entry look like then?
>
> My idea was to have something like this:
>
> <check type="file" condition="exists" id="fileA" path="c:\folder\fileA.exe" />
> <check type="file" condition="exists" id="fileB" path="c:\folder\fileB.exe" />
> <check type="file" condition="exists" id="fileC" path="c:\folder\fileC.exe" />
>
> <install id="fileA" cmd='Z:\packages\folder\fileA.exe /s'>
>   <exit code="0" />
> </install>
> <install id="fileB" cmd='Z:\packages\folder\fileB.exe /s'>
>   <exit code="0" />
> </install>
> <install id="fileC" cmd='Z:\packages\folder\fileC.exe /s'>
>   <exit code="0" />
> </install>
>
> If the check condition for fileA is true it won't install fileA again but it will continue to check the other files and if for example fileB is already installed too but fileC is missing it will install fileC.

It is not file oriented, but install package oriented. It does a check
(or several checks) in order to determin, whether a program is
installed. If one of the checks fail, wpkg assumes, that the program
is not installed and triggers the install command(s). It does not
install files as such.

> > > Does anyone know how to check whether a specific Firefox Extension is already installed?
> > file checks should do it. But note that FF extensions are installed on a user basis, not machine.
> I'm interested in initial setups and therefor the installation of global extensions. The problem is that stupid Firefox likes to create folders with random elements in the name which makes static file checks kind of impossible. We'd need wildcards for that i guess.

This is not a wpkg issue at all. Go check this page:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Adding_Extensions_using_the_Windows_Registry

You can put the extensions in any folder u like and then update the
registry so that FF will find the extensions.

cheers,
kristofer

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org