[wpkg-users] wpkg and unattended

Robert.HATT at geneva.msf.org Robert.HATT at geneva.msf.org
Wed Nov 9 10:38:25 CET 2005

Hello,

We are using unattended and wpkg with mysql.
Almost all data about computers, users, packages is stored in the database.
The wpkg XML files are generated by a script  from the database.
We use dadabik as a web-based front-end to the database, which is very easy
to install and use.

The process to deploy a new PC is quite simple (everything is done through
the web interface) :

1) Enter the data about the computer : mac address, computer name, domain
name, model name, username, ...
2) Add packages for this computer.
3) Boot the pc with the linux boot disk
4) Enter domain admin password.
5) Wait.
6) Done !

As I am alone on this project, beside my normal help-desk job the solution
is still a little bit rudimentary but it works well.
The next step would be to create a more powerful web-based interface to the
database.

If people are interested in this solution, I would be glad to give more
details about it.

Best Regards,

Robert Hatt.

______________________________

Robert Hatt
MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES
Département IT
Rue de Lausanne 78
1211 Genève 21
Tél : +41 22 849 84 44
Fax : +41 22 849 84 88
robert.hatt at geneva.msf.org

             Paul Griffith
             <paulg at cs.yorku.c
             a>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
             wpkg-users-admin@                                          cc
             lists.sourceforge
             .net                                                  Subject
                                       [wpkg-users] wpkg and unattended

             08.11.2005 18:54

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone is using wpkg with unattended and in what
form.

Are you using wpkg to push out updates?
Are you using wpkg to push out new apps so don't have to rebuild the
whole PC?

I just started to look at wpkg and it looks like a really good
package.

I do have a few concerns....

1 - Can the packages.xml file be split in smaller files. I deal with
approx 90 packages (more if you include the new versions that have to
be tested before we push them out).

It would be a pain to navigate through a .xml with 90 packages, how do
users of wpkg manage?

I am currently using unattended and I looking at wpkg as a way to push
out updates. I guess I could just use wpkg to call unattended scripts.

Thanks
Paul

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org