[wpkg-users] Introductions & questions.

sbotsford sbotsford at sjsa.ab.ca
Fri Apr 7 22:31:50 CEST 2006

This project looks cool.

My situation:  I'm the IT department for a small boarding school.  We
currently have 18 computers in a lab, (Optiplex GX110) about a dozen
staff computers (Dell GX1, + 2 different generic computers).

I've dealt with this so far through ghosting.  The problem of course
is that there are always a few machines that are going to be
different. (The bookkeeper's box runs ACCPAC...)  Multiply different
users and different hardware and you get a combintorical explosion.

Now the next stage:  We're using a new record keeping system that
requires each teacher to have a laptop.  So I'm supporting 6 school
laptops and about the same number that teachers bought on their own.

And we're encouraging students to have laptops.  (DON'T get me
started...  Not my decision)  So I have my spywa^H^H^N monitoring
tools to install, as well as antivirus...  And of course these will be
different yet.

So wpkg is a glimmer of hope at the far end of a very dark tunnel.

****

Anyway -- Questions:

1.  Can multiple depends statements exist in the same profile?
        <profile-id="netapps" />
                 <package package-id="thunderbird" />
                 <package package-id="firefox" />
                 <package package-id="opera" />
                 <package paakage-id="flash" />
                 <package paakage-id="shockwave" />
                 <package paakage-id="javaruntime" />
         </profile>

         <profile-id="photo" />
                 <package package-id="photoshop" />
                 <package package-id="nikonview" />
         </profile>

         <profile-id="words" />
                 <package package-id="MSOffice" />
                 <package package-id="MathEdit" />
                 <package package-id="AcrobatRdr" />
         </profile>

         <profile-id="remadmin" />
                 <package package-id="K9" />
                 <package package-id="VNC" />
                 <package package-id="Cygwin" />
         </profile>

         <profile-id="TLE" />
                 <package package-id="TLE7"  />
                 <package package-id="TLE8"  />
                 <package package-id="TLE9"  />
                 <package package-id="TLE10" />
                 <package package-id="TLE11" />
         </profile>

     <profile id="common">
         <depends profile-id="netapps" />
         <depends profile-id="photo"   />
         <depends profile-id="words"   />
         <depends profile-id="remadm"/>
     </profile>

2.    Is order significant in profiles.  Does the profile mentioned
in a depends statement have to be defined before it is used.

3.    Given my problem with handwritten HTML files in getting all my
tags closed properly:  What is the easiest way to verify that one of
the xml files is syntactically correct?

4.   In light of the above; How robust is wpkg?  If I mis-spell
package as pakcage will this have an effect outside the scope of the
enclosing profile?

5.   What about missing data:
	Profile foo mentions package bar, but bar is not yet defined in
packages.xml

Sherwood Botsford		sbotsford at sjsa.ab.ca
St. John's School of Alberta	780-848-2881 Ext 134
RR - 5, Stony Plain, Alberta, T7Z 1X5

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org