[wpkg-users] Help with error message:

sbotsford sbotsford at sjsa.ab.ca
Wed Apr 19 23:09:49 CEST 2006

I hate windows, I hate windows, IHateWindows!!!!

Rebooted the machine.  Now it works fine.

Mext thing:

I'm setting up 6 identical laptops.  For each one,
I'm installing from a win2k disk with SP1 integrated.
On #1 I installed scripten.  It runs wpkg without a problem, even
though it still is IE5.0.

#2 on gave me the "automation server can't create object " error even
though I had scripten installed.  The IEupgrade fix worked but right
now I can't figure out what I did differently on #1.

So now, I am creating a simple batch file to get ready for wpkg.

Did I mention I hate windows?

***

For what it's worth:  My first install script now looks like this:

rem Add current version of IE
I:\Microsoft\InternetExplorer_sp1\ie6setup.exe

rem Upgrade to service pack 4
I:\Microsoft\W2KSP4\update\update -u -n -z

rem Add current version of scripten
I:\WinAdmin\scripten /q

***
ie6setup.exe can take a bunch of parameters in IEBatch.txt, documented
on MS's website.  The key item is no reboot.

The SP4 upgrade has to be unpacked to a network share (
w2ksp4_en.exe /X , browse to wherever you want to unpack to.

The actual command is %SP4%\i386\update\update.exe Running it with /?
brings up a panel of options.  In my case
-u = unattended
-n = don't archive old files
-z = don't reboot.

Scripten is at the end because I haven't found a way to tell it not to
reboot.

***
By the way, I hate windows.