[wpkg-users] New User with some questions

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Aug 17 23:33:21 CEST 2006

David Miller wrote:
> Hey guys.  I'm new to the list and to wpkg and I'm running into a couple
> of problems trying to get things up and running and hoping that someone
> can help me out.  I'm using samba and wpkg 0.9.10.
>
> My first problem is that I'm trying to use the split folders for hosts,
> packages, and profiles but when I run wpkg.js it just errors out because
> it can't find the xml files in it's current directory.  I tried adding
> some empty xml files here to appease this but it never searches these
> sub folders to find the xml files that I'm trying to get it to use.  Any
> suggestions?

So, you want to have something like this:

hosts - dir with various hosts.xml files (i.e., hosts_a.xml, hosts_b.xml)
packages - dir with various packages.xml files (i.e. firefox.xml,
thunderbird.xml)
profiles - dir with various profiles.xml (i.e. profile_a.xml, profile_b.xml)

You need to also have profiles.xml, packages.xml and hosts.xml files, in
the same directory in which you have wpkg.js.
They can't be totally empty, they must have at least:
* <profiles></profiles> for profiles.xml
* <packages></packages> for packages.xml
* <wpkg></wpkg> for hosts.xml

> I'm trying to use wpkg to help me manage my rendering farm (cluster) for
> rendering with 3dsmax and Digital Fusion as well as some plugin and font
> management.  The software installation is pretty straight forward but
> has anyone used wpkg to install fonts?

If the fonts can be installed from command line somehow (silently), wpkg
should do it's job.