[wpkg-users] WPKG Web Interface

Michael J. Kidd wpkg at linuxkidd.com
Wed Dec 13 18:56:40 CET 2006

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Good job.
> What can I say - it's the best management interface for WPKG the world
> have seen :)
Thanks.. :)
> OK, here's my list of suggestions/questions:
>
> 1) What is its license? GPL?

GNU GPL v2.  I've updated the footer to denote that now..

> 2) Is it possible to generate XML for single packages/profiles/hosts?
Yes, it was for packages (just wasn't linked), and now is for profiles
and hosts.. and all have been linked w/ orange XML buttons..
> 3) Although I can understand the interface pretty well, it might need a
> little explanation for a new user. A couple of "?" (with JavaScript
> onmouseover? HTML popup?) icons here and there would be great.
Done... I've only ToolTip'd up a few things.. so, suggestions on other
items to put ToolTips on would be great..
(Package/Profile/Host lists, and the General page when you have a
specific package open are the main ones I've done)
> 4) Perhaps other ideas that one will have when uses software...
Of course... always open to future changes!
> Perhaps a bit philosophical question - what would you like to do with
> it in the future? What I mean, after WPKG installer is ready and
> feature-full in about two months, there are still some features
> waiting to be integrated into wpkg.js...
>
> WPKG Web Interface would be a great addition to what we have already.
> In other words, if you want this Web Interface to be hosted on
> wpkg.org/sourceforge.net, have it developed by other people, etc.
>
> If yes, perhaps it's time to set up a SVN repository (does
> svn.wpkg.org work)?

I plan on continuing development of the web interface as WPKG expands
its capabilities.  The modular design of each page / section should make
it fairly easy to maintain the code for.  I would also be more than
happy to host it on an SVN ( or similar ) system, either on
wpkg.org/sourceforge.net or on my own server (would have to set it up on
my own box as well).  I will throw this word of caution to those wanting
to dabble in the code... I wrote this for myself 1st, and 2nd to share..
So, in my normal style, Comments are far and few between ( with the
exception of one file that I commented up for my own sanity ).  More
than happy to dedicate some clock cycles to adding more comments, but
this is a back burner thing for me.

>> I've also integrated a means of managing the MySQL data for
>> http://unattended.sourceforge.net
>
> That's also nice, I use Unattended as well.
> To bad Unattended doesn't seem much developed these days anymore?
Ya... Seems there's an offshoot of a GUI bootable CD... Not sure how GUI
it is.. haven't tried it yet.  I'm not in it for the frills.. if it
works, don't fix it! :)

> I see there is a download link now, great.

Yep, getting ready to increment the version by .0.1 and post a new
package with the current changes in it.

On a slightly different note.. I've had issues getting the WPKG Windows
Installer to run as the system account.  When I try it, I get an event
log entry that says 'An unexpected network error occurred' (which isn't
very specific), and the service stops.  If I change the service to use
the local 'Administrator' account, it works fine... ( and no, the
Administrator account doesn't have any rights to the network shares
which WPKG or any of the packages are on. )  Any help with this would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael J. Kidd
Jabber/XMPP/GoogleTalk: linuxkidd at linuxkidd.com