[wpkg-users] updating WSH through WPKG

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Jul 30 12:03:58 CEST 2006

Falko Trojahn wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
>>> Perhaps we could create a runonce key? Or anything else that gets
>>> executed on next reboot.
>>
>> nice to read you on this list as well. :-)
> Well, unattended and wpkg are needed and work nice together - I try to
> give back to the community on every OSS product I use, and made some
> patches for wpkg as well.
>
>> RunOnce would be a possibility, however I fear that then I lose the
>> options of WPKG (like User Notification and Reboot).
>
> If wpkg is started as a service via e.g. wpkg-start.bat, some here in
> the list provide packages for the local wpkg files as well.
>
> Since wpkg-start.bat is used to start cscript, you could do anything
> else in the script before wpkg.js itself is started - updating WSH as
> well (untested).
>
> The problem will be that the wpkg-start.bat is in use if the service is
> running. I _think_ it could be possible to stop the service and change
> the file during the run of wpkg.js - after next reboot the service is
> started again, anyway. Should give it a try ...

One can use timeout="seconds" option in the install command (see
http://wpkg.org/index.php/Firefox for examples).

For example, timeout="10", means that after 10 seconds WPKG will assume
that command execution has ended (which will also need an exit code,
probably "-1", or a patch (not yet implemented) from bugzilla to accept
any access code).
WPKG will not kill the process, even if it's still running.

So, logically, it should be fairly easy to update WSH through WPKG:

1) write a batch script that will wait a couple of seconds, and then
will update WSH - WSH-update.bat:

ping 127.0.0.1 -n 30>NUL
update_WSH /silent

2) write an XML that will start this WSH-update, with a small timeout:

  <install timeout="5" cmd='\\server\updates\WPKG-update.bat' >
   <exit code="-1" />
   <exit code="0" />
  </install>

3) start it as a last command (priority="0")

WPKG will end before WSH update is even started (as we ping for 30
seconds, and then update WSH).

I didn't test it personally, but it should work that way.