[wpkg-users] laptops not on the domain?

Matt Miller mmiller at solutionsforprogress.com
Wed Jun 21 22:52:07 CEST 2006

We have a samba domain in the office, and have been using WPKG for some
time to install and update software on desktop computers that are
attached to the domain. It works great.
There are several laptops that aren't attached to the domain. We'd like
to use WPKG with them too. Often they are out of the office and cannot
access internal servers (where our current WPKG setup now sits).
Here's what we thought up;
A scheduled task would run a batch file that would pull a copy of itself
(so we can update it if necessary), the WPKG and config files from our
web server using rsync or wget. WPKG would then run locally, pulling
necessary installers from our web server (again using rsync or wget) and
then delete them to save disk space.
I guess I'm looking for comments, suggestions, and feedback. Has anyone
else in a similar situation done it differently? Any suggestions about
wget versus rsync?

--
- Matt Miller -
Solutions for Progress