[wpkg-users] laptops not on the domain?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Jun 21 23:15:08 CEST 2006

Matt Miller wrote:
> We have a samba domain in the office, and have been using WPKG for some
> time to install and update software on desktop computers that are
> attached to the domain. It works great.
> There are several laptops that aren't attached to the domain. We'd like
> to use WPKG with them too. Often they are out of the office and cannot
> access internal servers (where our current WPKG setup now sits).
> Here's what we thought up;
> A scheduled task would run a batch file that would pull a copy of itself
> (so we can update it if necessary), the WPKG and config files from our
> web server using rsync or wget. WPKG would then run locally, pulling
> necessary installers from our web server (again using rsync or wget) and
> then delete them to save disk space.
> I guess I'm looking for comments, suggestions, and feedback. Has anyone
> else in a similar situation done it differently? Any suggestions about
> wget versus rsync?

Hmm, you can also copy all stuff directly from your server - just
install some sort of VPN (I can recommend OpenVPN) on laptops, and on
your server (or a router connected to the server).

This way, your laptop users could access the server using the network
neighbourhood just as if they were in the office, and you don't have to
play with a web server etc.
You could start VPN automatically, depending on the environment,
automatically detected (i.e., laptop is in the office - do not start
VPN; otherwise, start it).

If you don't like the idea, perhaps rsync would be better, as it's able
to compress what it downloads.