[wpkg-users] Anyone using runas?

Joshua Weage weage98 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 18:29:48 CET 2006

--- Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
> Joshua Weage wrote:
> > I have an InstallShield InstallScript package that refuses to
> install
> > using the system account, but it works fine as an admin user.  Has
> > anyone managed to use runas to successfully switch to the local
> admin
> > account?
> >
> > There seems to be a gui password dialog that doesn't work well with
> > silent installs.
>
> You can save credentials I think.
>
> For this, you'd have to start cmd as SYSTEM (google how to do it),
> than
> runas + savecred.
>
> Should work, although I never tested that.
>
> Let us know if it works for you :)

That method should work, but it would have to be run on every machine
(manually) before it can be used by wpkg.  This isn't acceptable for
more than a few machines.  It seems as though the only way to
accomplish this is to use one of the third party runas type programs
that produce an encrypted executable.  I'm not sure how secure those
are though.

Josh

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.