reboot problem

Nicolas Lepot nicolas_lepot at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 11:54:34 CET 2007

Hello,

Thank you again for your reply. I'm sorry for my answer time.
I have much urgent work because it is the end of year.

I think that I found the problem (I mention this to point 3).
But I'm not sure and I'm very interesed by your opinion.

> Your mail client wraps the lines in a funny way. Also, try to keep one
> topic per thread, i.e. "reboot problem" for problems with rebooting, and
> "logging problem" for problems with logging.

Ok, I will still try if I have a error again.

> Anyway - if wpkg.js reboots just fine, it means there is some problem
> with WPKG Client.

Ok, I also think.

> Does it affect only this machine, or all other machines in your network,
> too? Is it a clean install, or was this workstation installed long time
> ago etc.?

Only the computer test on VMWARE.
It is a clean install by RIS Server.
The Windows is two weeks old.
I have tried again a new install...

> It would be easiest if you could give me remote access to that machine.

Ok, it is possible. But I have to ask at my manager.
That will be normaly Ok if you want.

> If you can't, I'd try the following:
>

> 1.
> Perhaps WPKG Client rebooted several times in a row (wrong installer
> which wants to reboot the machine each time?). What's the value of
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\WPKG.ORG\Restart\Count?
> Although in that case, you should see it in the Event Log.

I install only a test package with a command install '%comspec% /c SET> C:\TOTO.TXT'.

This is a stupid package, just to test the option of package : "reboot=true".
My objective is to reboot with WPKG.
if it is ok, I could reboot with others important packages as : .net framework and others...

after the install at boot moment, after the logon on Windows,
the wpkgservice run and HKLM\SOFTWARE\WPKG.ORG\Restart\Count is again 0.
I stop the service and after I start the service...
But no, reboot.

No error in event log...

> 2.
> - Log in as Administrator
> - set "Show GUI", and /debug for wpkg.js
> - run cmd.exe, and there: net start wpkgservice
> - did it reboot?

it is not possible because the service is already running.
Or "net stop wpkgservice" and after "net start wpkgservice".
After stop and start, no reboot.
And HKLM\SOFTWARE\WPKG.ORG\Restart\Count is again 0.

> Also, would be useful to combine it with some debugging logging from
> wpkg.js - see below.

Ok, I had this idea too...

> 3.
> Instead of wpkg.js, use reboot.js script (it's just this one line):
>
> WScript.Quit(3010)
>
> It just exits with code 3010, so WPKG Client should reboot.

Ok,

I rename \\server\wpkg\wpkg.js to \\server\wpkg\wpkg.js.old.
I create \\server\wpkg\wpkg.js with only "WScript.Quit(3010);".
I reboot the workstation.
And woaaaw !!! This is beautiful !!
The computer reboot perfectely !

In the boot time :
firstly, I see the windows of WPKG Client.
Secondly, I see a small window with a time counter.
And after: the computer rebooting (before the user logon).

After several reboot,
The computer stop the reboot and HKLM\SOFTWARE\WPKG.ORG\Restart\Count = 6.

I think that WPKG Client run perfectly on my computer.
In administrator with cmd.exe, if I run "\\path\wpkg.js /synchronize /debug", computer reboot perfectly;
The problem is only during the installation with WPKG when the computer start.
I think that my reboot error is in wpkg.js :
In my case wpkg.js exit without the code : 3010. I'm sure.
But I use the flag "reboot=true" in my package...

I did a special test :
I downloaded the last version of wpkg.js on the web site.
I have replaced my wpkg.js by the new script from the web site.
I have replaced the registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\WPKG.ORG\Restart\Count <-- 0
I have deleted the c:\toto.txt
I have replaced c:\windows\system32\wpkg.xml by a new file with only ""
I have rebooted.
So far, no reboot at WPKG moment at startup.

In wpkg.js, I read : "x.win32Shutdown(6);". On MSDN (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394058.aspx),
I read that the return value is 0 if success and other number if error. I have understood with your previous answer that,
the function "x.win32Shutdown(6);" don't have effect during the boot with Windows XP. It is only for Windows 2000 and other old Windows.
I'm Ok.

In the code of function Reboot(), after the switch/case with "standard", "special" and "default", I read "exit(0);"...
In the function exit(), I read that the wpks.js exit with this code :
"WScript.Quit(exitCode);" and exitcode=0, because this is the value from the call "exit(0);" in the function reboot().
I think that with the actual function Reboot(), it is not possible that the exit code of wpks.js is equal to 3010...

If I change the "exit(0);" by "exit(3010);", the reboot is perfectly.
At the boot moment, I see the window of WPKG-Client, and after I see a small window with a counter.
After this window, the computer restart perfectly.

I think that there is a small bug in wpkg.js (sorry)...
--> this is possible ??????
--> or my test is a cheating ????
--> What do you think about that ?

> 4.
> Are you sure you're using WPKG Client 1.2-rc5, and not any older version
> (1.0-rcX)? There was a bug with rebooting there - it would not reboot
> unless a user starting WPKG service was in Administrator's group (so,
> SYSTEM would not reboot it). Do you have a "test settings" button? It
> was added in 1.2-rcX. Are there any errors if you test settings?

Yes, I'm sure.
I use WPKG Client 1.2rc6.
I downloaded it on www.wpkg.org the last week.
Yes of course, I have a "test settings" button.
If I click on "test button", the result is :
Connecting to \\path\wpkg.js as DOMAIN\Invit矛OK]
Trying to read \\path\wpkg.js [OK]

> As for logging, try to use two backslashes, i.e.:
>

> This one won't work:

Yes, I have read the wiki and I was very observant for this rule.
But no result... Here, this is my file config.xml :

I have a error ?

Thank you again,

Best regards,

Nicolas