[wpkg-users] direct link from wpkg.js to mysql database

Arthur van Dongen Arthur.van.Dongen at TSolve.com
Fri Feb 23 11:45:46 CET 2007

Hello all,

In the announcement of WPKG 0.9.11.test1 and WPKG Web 1.1.0 I read the
following section.

"There have been several requests for a way to have WPKG Web export the
XML files directly to the file system. There have been other requests
for WPKG to be MySQL (or other DB) integrated. We now have something
that I believe to be superior to both of those situations."

It is good that the export from the MySQL database to XML files no
longer needs to be done by hand. But I don't see why this would be
superior to a direct database link. Am I missing something?

I _do_ see an advantage of a direct database link. If the client could
access the database directly, it could also write some records of
installed packages to the database, instead of or in addition to the
local wpkg.xml file. The administrator can get a quick overview of
installed packages by looking at the database. Are there currently any
plans to achieve this?

Arthur

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this message are entirely my own,
and do not necessarily comply with my employer's.