[wpkg-users] Error running wpkg.js

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Feb 1 10:47:22 CET 2007

Scott F wrote:
> Hiya
>
> For some reason I seem to be getting an error when running wpkg.js on a machine, it happens when the script is trying to check for the existance of software in the add remove part of the registry :
>
> The error message follows :
>
> error occured when searching registry for <packagename> code : 80041014 ; Decscriptions : Initialization failure
>
> After I clicked ok it carried on with the install ( I am assuming because from the looks of it the function scanUninstallKeys returns false when it errors)
>
> Is anyone else seeing this ? haven't seen any mention of it , I am running the newest version of wpkg (downloaded a few days ago) on Windows XP SP2 with all the latest hotfixes, the firewall is off and I run wpkg like this :
>
> \\server\wpkg\wpkg.js /synchronize /quiet /nonotify
>
> Running as a scheduled task it obviously just hangs and you cant see the dialog.

You should certainly run it like below (note the cscript):

cscript \\server\wpkg\wpkg.js /synchronize /quiet /nonotify

Otherwise, it might be run as wscript (shows windows) or other
application which opens .js extensions (like Macromedia Dreamweaver).

Other than that, I don't know what that error means.

.