[wpkg-users] WPKG client installer questions

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Feb 1 11:18:35 CET 2007

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> In the client installer there is a place to specify the "Script path user" and
> "Script path password".  I understand that this user is used to gain access to the
> script file and configuration xml files,

Yes.

> but is it also used to access other network
> shares?
> In my case, some of my installation scripts require access to areas of the
> network other than the script file path and I'm not sure how wpkg will attempt to
> connect to them.

Hmm, I'm not sure.
As I remember correctly, it will try to access such paths as a user
running service... You might verify that though (and let me know).

> Also, what is the user and password in the "Script execution context" box used for?
> The user defaults to SYSTEM, and I noticed that no matter what I write in there, the
> WPKG Service is created to log on as LocalSystem.

It is the user which "executes all commands".

For example, try to run the service in the foreground (show GUI), first
as SYSTEM, and then, as a different user (i.e., Administrator).

As a "execute before", type notepad.

When you log in, open console (cmd.exe), and type "tasklist /V".

You will see what user runs the notepad you started with "execute
before" (i.e., once nt-authority/system, and the second time,
administrator).

.