[wpkg-users] WPKG client installer questions

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Thu Feb 1 22:21:20 CET 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Mark Nienberg wrote:
>> In the client installer there is a place to specify the "Script path user" and
>> "Script path password".  I understand that this user is used to gain access to the
>> script file and configuration xml files,
>
> Yes.

-- snip--

Thank you for your response.  With your clues and some more testing I think I
understand it now.  Here are my conclusions:

There are potentially 3 user/password combination in play.  First, the user under
which the wpkg service runs.  If you install the service using the wpkg-installer,
this will always be SYSTEM, no matter what you write in any of the boxes.  You could
change this after installation in the windows service properties dialog box, but
there is really no reason to do so.

Second, the "script path user" is just the user under which the wpkg.js script file
and configuration xml files are accessed.  The user needs read access to the files,
but this is all it is used for, so it can be a user with low privileges.  It doesn't
need access to the rest of your network or anything. If your script and configuration
files are located in a share that allows guest access, then maybe this user/password
doesn't even matter.

Third, the "Script execution context" user is the user that "executes all commands".
  This user probably has to have administrative privileges on the local machine to be
able to do most interesting installs.  By default, wpgk-install sets this to SYSTEM,
which works fine as long as the installs do not have to access other network shares.
If any of your installation scripts require access to network shares (other than the
share where the script and configuration files are) then you can set this to a user
that has administrative privileges on the local machine and also read (or read/write)
privileges on the necessary network shares.

My problem was that I assumed the first and third users are the same.  They are not.

If all this seems right to you, I will try to work it into the wiki.

Thanks again,
Mark

.