[wpkg-users] Change of method of running wpkg

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Jan 18 14:49:09 CET 2007

Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Mandi! Michael J. Kidd
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
>>   As long as the profiles are the same between your current running
>> instance of wpkg, and the new xml you plan to implement w/ the WPKG
>> installer, I don't believe you'll have any issues.  The only time I've
>> run into issues is if I've found that an Uninstall command doesn't work,
>> and update it on the server's XML.  WPKG seems to keep using the
>> commands that it has in the local wpkg.xml (
>> C:\windows\system32\wpkg.xml ) file.
>
> Hem, for me it make sense: if i have to uninstall, i have to uninstall
> the current package, not use the new version to uninstall the old
> one... (ok, probably work well too, but...).
>
> This pose a 'common practice' question: seems to be better, very
> better, to have installer 'versioned' (WPKGSetup-0.90.msi and not
> WPKGSetup.msi, for example), and not to delete old installers too
> early.

I agree, but it won't be done too fast (in March, probably; there are
sources of the Installer available, patches of course are welcome).

Anyway, with Active Directory, it shouldn't be a problem - just remove
the package, and add a newer version. If it makes sense to use WPKG
Installer with AD is another question...