[wpkg-users] wpkg & vista ?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 26 10:47:40 CEST 2007

Torsten Geile schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
>> Was WPKG Installed installed there before? Especially, a previous
>> release marked 2007-Mar-xx? If yes, installation/upgrade will not work.
>>
>> Or does this happen on a very first installation of WPKG Installer on
>> Vista?
>
> It was a fresh install on a fresh installed Vista.

What about other MSI packages? Do they install fine?

Most probably yes.

WPKG Installer uses the SYSTEM account, and this is why it may fail.

There are lots of google hits when we search for "msiexec vista error
code 1721", like:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=78

http://planetscm.org/tag/visual%20studio%20team%20system/

I've already seen one problem crop up - uninstalling the old TFPT
release on Vista.  You get the error "Error 1721.  There is a problem
with with Windows Installer package. ...".  You either need to disable
UAC or you can run msiexec /i tfpt.msi.

http://www.macrovision.com/company/news/newsletter/tips/is_vista.shtml

2) Custom Actions fail because of missing permissions

Symptom: Custom actions scheduled for immediate or deferred execution
fail with error 1721.

Cause: On Windows Vista, even administrators have restricted permissions
by default. Windows Vista prompts for privilege elevation if needed.
However, only custom actions that are running in the Local System
account get elevated correctly, while custom actions that impersonate as
the current user do not.

Solution: Schedule the custom action for "deferred execution in system
context"", which is equivalent to setting the
msidbCustomActionTypeNoImpersonate bit in the CustomAction table.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ukvsts/archive/2007/01/11/installing-the-tfs-power-toys-on-vista.aspx

Installing the TFS Power Toys on Vista

If you try and install the Team Foundation Server Power Toys (or Tools)
on a Vista machine, you may well see the following error:

     Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.
A program required for this install to complete could not be run.
Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Solving this is quite easy; you just need to fire up a command prompt
using the Run As Admin setting and use the msiexec command line:

     msiexec /i "tfs power tools.msi"

The reason for this is due to the increased security in Vista, for more
information on this, see http://devreadiness.org/default.aspx