[wpkg-users] [wpkg] VLC uninstall problems

Jens Geile jens.geile at mzbs.de
Tue May 15 15:37:06 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've got a little problem installing VideoLAN VLC with WPKG. Actually, its the uninstall I have problems with, the install is working perfectly fine.

<package id="vlc" name="VideoLAN" revision="84" priority="100" reboot="false" notify="false">
  <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="VideoLAN VLC media player 0.8.4" />
  <install cmd='%SOFTWARE%\videolan\vlc-0.8.4.exe /S' />
  <install cmd='cmd /c del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\VLC media player.lnk"' />
  <upgrade cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" /S' />
  <upgrade cmd='%SOFTWARE%\videolan\vlc.exe /S' />
  <upgrade cmd='cmd /c del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\VLC media player.lnk"' />
  <remove cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\VideoLAN\VLC\uninstall.exe" /S' />
  <remove cmd='cmd /c if exist "%PROGRAMFILES%\VideoLAN" rmdir "%PROGRAMFILES%\VideoLAN" /Q /S' />
</package>

This is my package entry for VLC (in this case its v0.8.4 but I've tested it with all versions from 0.8.4 up to 0.8.6b). I'm using WPKG 0.9.11-test1 with the WPKG installer 0.91.
The problem I have with VLC uninstall now is that the WPKG installer runs for the full length of the specified timeout preventing users to login during that time. After the installer times out and I log in I see a cmd box open with WPKG running and VLC is gone from the harddisk so the uninstall was successful. Yet there is no entry in the eventlog that VLC has been successfully uninstalled. Prior to using the WPKG installer VLC uninstall was working fine since WPKG didnt really rely on any kind of exit codes returned from the installers. The issue seems to be that the VLC uninstaller does not return any exit code. :/ I've already contacted the VLC devs and reported this issue on their forums but all they told me is that i should provide a patch and then they'd think about integrating it. -.-

So, any recommendations?

-
jens

wpkg-users mailing list