[wpkg-users] WPKG and "the network path was not found" error

Ivari Horm ivari at risk.ee
Fri Oct 5 19:36:02 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm having some problems with the WPKG and although this is most likely
not a pure-wpkg-problem, it is the only place where I've seen the
following trouble so far.

I've installed WPKG successfully, loaded all settings from XML file,
added the machine name to the hosts.xml etc. But when I reboot the
machine, no packages are installed and Event Log says simply "The
network path was not found".

When I log on to the machine and start the WPKG service manually using
the command 'net start "wpkg service"', everything will be installed
according to the packages.xml and profiles.xml settings. Meaning - the
WPKG can actually connect to the server I configured it to do so.

Seems like something is blocking the outgoing connections or name
resolution (?) when the service starts during the boot process. I've
tried to use both IP and server name in the UNC path, but without a luck.

I've set the service into the debug mode with /synchronize /debug
switches, but since the connection failed, there seems nothing to be
debugged and no output is shown.

Strange is that when I tested everything on my laptop and on one
separate desktop PC, the installation worked. But as you all know, when
real deployment comes in, strange things start to appear. What else
could I look for?

--
With all the best,
Ivari