[wpkg-users] Instead of SAMBA/Active Directory can we use any other method for central sharing Server in WPKG

Arun Gupta arungupta at elinanetworks.com
Wed Oct 17 09:09:12 CEST 2007

On Monday 15 October 2007 16:18, Tom wrote:

Hi Tomasz and All,

	I think Tom directed us into right direction, i am also eager to know that
can wpkg works with HTTP, because samba becomes is really too slow for this
Wonderfull software package. I really want to work for it. Can u please
confirm how comlex it can be?, and what is the initial point to start with
all this.

Thanks and best regards
Arun Gupta

> Hi,
>
> > 	Can anyone confirm me that, is there any other alternative also present
> > other then SAMBA/Active Directory on Server side for WPKG.
>
> That's a good question and I have no answers ;) That's why I'm bouncing
> on it and ask the same question as Arun Gupta.
>
> I was wondering if wpkg could handle HTTP requests to get packages
> files. It seems to me it would be a clever solution than SMB but I don't
> know if it's easy to implement. I imagine that SMB choice was a simple
> choice at the beginning to start the project because it's windows stuff
> but now wpkg grows and his purposes also ;)
>
> Why am I telling this? Because, what happens to a Samba Server (or MS©
> ADS©) if for example, 500 clients ask theirs new firefox version ? As
> everybody knows, SMB/CIFS is a bit of pain to load balance (if anybody
> knows how, tell me :) and it will probably (over)load at lot. HTTP, is
> very easy to loadbalance (wpkg) load/access/cnx with a farm of
> webservers that's why I think it could be a new feature for big wpkg
> installation. What do you think ? Is HTTP implementation possible ?
>
> Maybe, I'm wrong, because I'm telling about things I never saw and have
> never happened now. Yes, we're now using wpkg for a little sample of
> ours Windows© computers (~ 40 PCs) but we want to expand it to the whole
> park (1500 PCs). So, that's my first question here, can someone tell us
> his experience about his wpkg architecture for at least 1000 computers ?
>
> To finish, I would like to thanks Tomasz and all people here for this
> great and very clear software : « Thank You ! »
>
> A+
> Thomas

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org