[wpkg-users] firefox and acrobat

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Apr 14 08:17:51 CEST 2008

Brian May schrieb:
> Brian May wrote:
>
>> This was a brand new installation using unattended. As such, I might be
>> able to reproduce it (fingers crossed!). Unfortunately I didn't think of
>> checking the PROGRAMFILES directory on my prior attempt (it seems so
>> obvious now).
>
> I did the installation again, and this time it worked.
>
> I installed the first round of updates from Microsoft, rebooted the
> computer. About a 30second delay before I can log in. No problem.
>
> I installed more system updates, and rebooted again. According to event
> handler:
>
> 2:02:41pm wpkg starts
> 2:03:13pm starts parsing config XML files
> 2:11:18pm still processing packages XML files, but sudden speed up
> 2:11:21pm Adobe Acrobat fails to install
> 2:11:24pm wpkg finishes
>
> Why was wpkg so slow to parse the XML files on this boot?

Don't know.
Enable debugging *both* in WPKG Client and in wpkg.js (via config.xml) -
this should tell you something.
Pasting detailed logs here might help if it's still an issue for you
(which you can reproduce).

>> Hmm. The fact it worked when I run wpkg manually would suggest the paths
>> and permissions should be fine. Something really weird is going on here.
>> I guess I should try it again with debugging enabled.
>
> The paths and permissions all look fine to me.

When you test it manually, you most likely do it as Administrator (or
domain Administrator).

WPKG service, on the other hand, is most likely started as a SYSTEM user
and tries to access the paths with the credentials you specified (you
didn't tell us how you configured it).

Both are not necessarily compatible, especially if you're accessing
multiple/different network paths.