[wpkg-users] firefox and acrobat

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Apr 15 10:32:25 CEST 2008

Brian May schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>  > You can use the same model (Admininistrator or unprivileged user)
> with both unattended and wpkg.
>  > And I'd discourage using guest access for accessing any WPKG shares
> anyway.
>  >
>  > The best approach IMO is to use an unprivileged user to access a
> password protected share.
>
> Why is this better? I have so far been reluctant to add another user to
> our LDAP database - Samba uses LDAP for authentication here.
>
> I can't see any security benefits, as either. At least not for wpkg.

It will be a matter of your users, company policies etc., but here are
some potential benefits:

1. Using a guest (i.e., not password protected) share for your software
allows your users to copy installers, license keys/passwords etc., which
may then leak in the internet. Depending on your software vendors, it
may or may not have consequences. Just to prevent this one, use a
password-protected share.

2. Use an unprivileged user to access these shares. Even if a malicious
user somehow gets credentials for the user accessing your software
shares, he/she will not be able to log into a machine as Administrator,
install spyware on your workstations etc. It may be a good idea to
disable logon possibility for that user altogether.

(...)

> I tried a HP Compaq nw8440 too, but it looks like the basic Windows XP
> SP2 installation disk won't work with this hardware :-(. Won't detect
> the hard disk.

Switch to PATA emulation / legacy SATA / whatever-it-is-called in BIOS
of this machine? Then it should work.
You can also integrate the drivers, if you're using i.e. Unattended for
automated operating system installation.