[wpkg-users] firefox and acrobat

Brian May brian at vpac.org
Wed Apr 16 06:28:41 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> 1. Using a guest (i.e., not password protected) share for your software
> allows your users to copy installers, license keys/passwords etc., which
> may then leak in the internet. Depending on your software vendors, it
> may or may not have consequences. Just to prevent this one, use a
> password-protected share.
>
> 2. Use an unprivileged user to access these shares. Even if a malicious
> user somehow gets credentials for the user accessing your software
> shares, he/she will not be able to log into a machine as Administrator,
> install spyware on your workstations etc. It may be a good idea to
> disable logon possibility for that user altogether.

Hmmm. So far all the software in this share is freely downloadable, so
licence keys leaking is not an issue... yet.

However this might change in the future.

Unfortunately, anonymous access is the only access that seems to work
for me.

If I try using a name and password, the "test settings" dialog works
with no errors.

As soon as the wpkg service starts though, I get "unexpected network error".

A packet trace suggests that the username is not being sent correctly
(it seems to be an empty string according to wireshark), and that the
response is "Invalid user".

> Switch to PATA emulation / legacy SATA / whatever-it-is-called in BIOS
> of this machine? Then it should work.

Ok, Thanks, didn't know there was such a setting.

> You can also integrate the drivers, if you're using i.e. Unattended for
> automated operating system installation.

I tried this too, and it still didn't boot - I suspect my boot problems
are something (am discussing this on the unattended mailing list at the
moment).

Brian May.