[wpkg-users] firefox and acrobat

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 16 11:37:07 CEST 2008

Hi Brian,

Brian May wrote:
> Unfortunately, anonymous access is the only access that seems to work
> for me.
>
> If I try using a name and password, the "test settings" dialog works
> with no errors.
>
> As soon as the wpkg service starts though, I get "unexpected network error".
>
> A packet trace suggests that the username is not being sent correctly
> (it seems to be an empty string according to wireshark), and that the
> response is "Invalid user".

Here I can probably give another hint. Windows seems to be unable to
maintain multiple connections to the same host with different user
credentials. So you cannot access one share with a CORPORATE\user1 user
and later on try to connect using CORPORATE\user2 user to the same share.

This can become an issue if WPKG is run from a share. For example your run:

\\server\RemInst\wpkg\wpkg.js ...

In that case the RemInst share on server is accessed using the guest
user or the user you specified at first connect.

I noticed that WPKG share access in above case fails for me in several
cases. Windows seems to connect printer shares or other things (did not
figure out). These accesses seem to be done using a guest account. Now
if WPKG client tries to connect to any share on this server it will fail
due to already existing connection using different user credentials. I
don't know if Windows in such cases leaves the user name empty as you
could see within your wireshark trace.

My solution to this problem was simple:
I defined another server alias called 'software'. All access to the WPKG
share are changed then to
\\software\RemInst\wpkg\wpkg.js ...
within WPKG client - specifying another user like CORPORATE\instadmin.
This always worked for me as Windows never automatically established any
connection to this "virtual" server called 'software'. Probably because
I install all the printers and everything else from the server called
'server' and I use the 'software' alias only to access to software
distribution map.

So please keep in mind that specifying a username to access the share
might fail in case windows already established a connection to this
server due to other reasons (like printer queues or whatever). Such
connections usually use "guest" credentials - so no wonder you could
access everything using the same (guest) credentials but fail to use
different ones.