[wpkg-users] user password in settings.xml for wpkg client

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Apr 24 12:51:39 CEST 2008

Grzegorz Marszałek schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to generate password to wpkg share on my server. Idea is
> like this:
> * I'm using puppet, but it could be any other tool for configuration
> management
> * puppet is generating all wpkg config files based on database content
> * ok, so after first run I've got all .xml files, and all packages
> files (.msi etc.) nicely downloaded to my server (linux with samba)
> * and now I'd like to generate password for wpkg user to access share
> with software...
>
> OK, the problem is, that wpkg client scrambles it's password in
> settings.xml file. I'd like to have random passowrd for each server I
> manage. There is no problem to generate settings.xml file (and thus
> ease installation on wpkg client on workstation), but do you know what
> algorithm is used to scrable password? I'd like to recreate it my
> script.

Currently, there is no tool for creating the password (other than
wpkginst.exe).

But it would be a good idea to create one (command line), both for
Windows and UNIX.

If you download WPKG Client sources, look into
WPKG/Sources/Components/XmlSettings.cpp, if you're familiar with
programming, it should give you some clues.