[wpkg-users] new web-based wpkg manager

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Aug 4 10:45:30 CEST 2008

Hi Joe,

Joe Konecny wrote:
> Although I have never used it I assumed that the web front end used the
> xml files already.  If not, I agree that it should.

No, it does not. It uses a database backend to store all information.
WPKG includes direct support to read the XML files using HTTP protocol
(using basic authentication). This is quite efficient as WPKG just needs
to fetch the XML files using HTTP instead of connecting to a CIFS share
to open several files (which can be quite inefficient). I made good
experience even on slow VPN connections using WPKG WEB and HTTP access
while I was not really satisfied with access speed of CIFS shares over
slow VPN connections.

See config.xml and wpkg.js parameters to read more about how wpkg.js can
fetch XML files from HTTP URLs.

The "new" WPKG WEB could probably support the same interface too (which
is a nice-to-have feature).