[wpkg-users] WPKG client 1.2.1 oddities..

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Aug 7 00:29:33 CEST 2008

Hi Manny,

Manny wrote:
> Show GUI is enabled, when I start/stop the service I do not see a window
> starting cscript (this is VISTA 32bit btw)

Just another hint which is related to a Windows issue I discovered many
times...
Are there any other services provided by your production server? For
example it might be that it provides network printers. If printers are
connected, then Windows already has a network connection associated to
this server. In such case the WPKG service might fail to map the
temporary share to load WPKG by using the specified user. Windows
usually reports a message like "The network folder specified is
currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect
using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing
mapping to this network share."
As there is usually no way to disconnect such automatically connected
network resources (printers are loaded on startup) then this method fails.

My solution to such a case:
Use a server alias.

Personally I use Samba servers where it is very easy to create an alias
name for the same server. So my clients connect to \\server\printerXY
and \\server\someshare in order to map all production shares. WPKG
client instead uses \\software\RemInst share which is actually on the
same server but Windows treats it differently due to the fact that it
thinks it is a different server. Therefore I can connect to
\\server\printerXY using "guest" and using "instadmin" to connect
\\software\RemInst even if I just run one single server.