[wpkg-users] upgrading wpkg with wpkg

Brian May brian at vpac.org
Fri Aug 22 08:31:10 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> Product WPKG -- Error 1722 There is a problem with this Windows
>> Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as
>> expected. Contact your support personnel of package vendor. Action
>> _A95459942_EE79_497A_9080_F39DDA8A7B80, location c:\Program
>> Files\wpg\wpkginst.exe command: --SETTINGSFILE=%WPKGROOT%\settings.xml
>
> And a second, another error for the same installation?

It was my assumption this error code 1722 is internal inside msiexec.
wpkg only ever reported the 1603 code. Still, it is confusing...

> Two exit codes for one failed installation? It's rather impossible.
> You're perhaps referring to two installation attempts?

No, only one install. The rest of the messages make this clear. I got
sick of retyping them ;-). The last message indicates that 1603 is being
returned to the caller.

> Are you 100% sure Windows Installer 3.1 is installed (it may need a
> restart after the installation)?

Yes. Both machines I tried have been rebooted numerous times since SP3,
and just to make sure I ran "msiexec /?" and the version reported was
3.01.*.

I also added the XML from the website to install it (I initially misread
the version as 3.0.*), but the check determines SP3 is installed already
and does nothing.

Brian May