[wpkg-users] Wpkg restart count exceeded

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Dec 10 21:21:47 CET 2008

Hi Mike,

Mike Burgener wrote:
> Is it possible to tell wpkg that it should allow more reboots than 5?

Five (5)? Hmm, WPKG (at least wpkg.js) does not have any limit on that -
assuming the OS is not applying any limits.

WPKG is either issuing an automatic immediate reboot if the package
specifies reboot=true attribute (or an exit code matches a reboot
action). In case you use postponed restart (reboot=postponed) WPKG will
issue a reboot command after completing its work (right before it exits).

The reboot command can be specified as well. By default it uses built-in
capabilities but you might invoke a shutdown-tool as well.

> I need this, so that i can deploy a lot of updates with heise offline
> update.

Probably you can write some more lines about your use-case. C't offline
update is downloading updates to a local machine in order to execute
them off-line. To do this with WPKG you need to create a package
information file. This needs either a single package with a couple of
install/upgrade commands or you create single package for each patch you
want to apply. In general WPKG is not targeted to update Windows as
Microsoft already provides decent update mechanisms to do this
(Windows/Microsoft Update for home, WSUS for corporate environment).