[wpkg-users] Feature request

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Dec 16 10:10:16 CET 2008

michael at ugilt.net schrieb:

Please reply to the mailing list as well.

>> As a workaround, you could probably use Windows Task Scheduler, or
>> (Local) Group Policy? Note the drawbacks though:
>>
>> - GPO is hard to setup if you have a Samba domain controller, because
>> you have to use local policies
>>
>> - I noticed that the Task Scheduler tends to "forget" the password. So
>> for example, when you configure a task to be started as a user "joe"
>> with password "secret", it happens that the password is somehow
>> "forgotten" after several months (even if it wasn't changed at all!) and
>> has to be specified again. This happened for me in several separate
>> Windows 2003 domains.
>>

> Actually worse!
> I'm running a handful of Vista Home laptops for the family at home
> "managed" by WPKG. Vista home does not have GPO at all.
> The Task Schedule approach requires that WPKG is installed/maintained by
> hand on each PC's as environment settings etc needs to be defined locally -
> really not an option.

Scheduled Tasks can be scripted:

http://wpkg.org/Installation_instructions_-_advanced#Starting_WPKG_using_Windows_Task_Scheduler

Works on XP, should work on Vista.
As such, you can install it even remotely via a script with winexe (from
remote Linux) or psexec (from remote Windows).

> The real alternative is to grant admin rigths to users and then run wpkg.js
> by a logion script - but that sure triggers other issues ;-)

Yeah, that's "THE BAD WAY" to do it.