[wpkg-users] Ideas for features.

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Thu Jul 3 10:01:57 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
>> really useful feature: from time to time I've got machines without
>> enough disk space to install e.g. office, acrobat8, sometimes even
>> updates (SP3 ...) etc.
>>
>> So it would be a really good idea to have something like a
>> "pre-flight-check" to check if the space for installation is available
>> before trying to install:
>>
>> If there is no check and not enough space, installers might hang issuing
>> an error dialog, installers make the machine really slow until they
>> recognize that there is not enough space to install and so on.
>>
>> Of course we might check for space in the pre action command of Wpkg
>> client (exit >= 0 if not enough space) - but this cannot be made
>> dependent from size of applications.
>>
>> What do you think about:
>>
>> <depends>
>>   <check type="freespace" condition="greaterorequal" value="500" />
>> </depends>
>
> I'm not very sure if integrating whole lots of tests inside wpkg.js is a
> good idea.
> Once we start integrating such checks (free space, free memory, wifi),
> I'm sure there will be other well-justified cases "worth integrating"
> (slow dial-up, VPN, CPU cores, CPU MHz, motherboard, hardware type etc.,
> you name it).
I think it is better than breaking all other (small) package
installations due to one hanging setup.exe 'cause of low disk space

> Also, making these tests via WPKG Client (via pre- task) is not ideal.
> Imagine this: a pre- task test which checks if there is enough free
> space; if not, it exits with a non-zero exit code. It prevents the
> execution of wpkg.js, and thus, a potential installation of a largish
> package; it also could prevent execution of a package which task is
> solely to remove free space... A no-no...
Full ACK, as I said above.

> How about introducing special types of packages?
>
> For example, if a package with a name "wpkg-check-*" exits with a
> non-zero exit code, wpkg.js would break its execution.
> Or better yet, it reacts in a specific way to different exit codes when
> a "wpkg-check-*" package is executed.
This is not install-package-specific and would have same effekt as
calling a pre-script - exiting because of low space for one application
would break other smaller size applications.

> This has an advantage that it can be executed anywhere, with different
> priorities etc. all infrastructure wpkg.js provides.
>

> Or, if not a dedicated package with a "wpkg-check-*" name, than maybe a
> special cmd prior to executing a proper installer:
>
> <install type="wpkg-check" cmd="%SOFTWARE%\wpkg-check-free-space.cmd"/>
> <install cmd="%SOFTWARE%\some-really-big-software.exe /silent"/>
>

> Just an idea - I may be totally wrong of course, and I'm sure there are
> better approaches, but it is certainly worth discussing.

I'd like to see the space definition even integrated in the package
definition. Something like:

    <package
        id="msoffice2003"
        name="Microsoft Office 2003"
        revision="1"
        reboot="true"
	space="500M"
	min-free="800M"
        priority="49">

        <check type="logical" condition="or">
    </package>

    <package
        id="msoffice2003-SP2"
        name="Microsoft Office 2003 SP2"
        revision="1"
	installspace="300M"
	installminfree="800M"
	upgradespace="300M"
	upgrademinfree="800M"
        reboot="false"
        priority="49"  >
    </package>

Of course there is a problem regarding which partition we will check ...
but anyway: Even during installation the used disk space changes, so if
I install e.g.

msoffice
openoffice
staroffice

(not that I would ... :) this way the disk space could be checked after
each install and before next install/upgrade:

- IF there is a minfree-requirement

- AND we are going to install/upgrade the package

- AND there is enough space
  (if not -> ERROR in log)

WDYT?

Best regards,