[wpkg-users] WPKG Client 1.3.4 released (testing release), including 64 bit support

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Tue Jul 8 14:02:36 CEST 2008

Helo Rainer,

thanx for your quick reply.

>> - it would be nice to have the installation status messages localized
>> via
>> config.xml - this could be easily adapted in wpkg.js using the existing
>> getLocalizedString() function?
>
> I thought about this but my initial idea of localization of status
> messages has been slightly different.
> The messages printed by wpkg.js (to be read by the GUI process) should
> be easily readable by the GUI in order to display status information
> (not just pass-on the text printed by WPKG).
>
> For example I had in mind that the GUI could display some progress bar
> (or even cake diagrams or whatever)...
>
> For that I created some easy-to-parse printouts. So actually I think the
> GUI should be responsible to display localized information to the user -
> just receiving technical data from wpkg.js.
Ok, ACK - so this means Wpkg Client would get the messages from wpkg.js
and localize them e.g. through config.xml for display.

>> - I know, there has been yet a similar discussion about that in the
>> list,
>> but: would it be possible to get the sendStatus messages (or, at least,
>> the event log messages with source WSH and Wpkg Service) on the Wpkginst
>> tool page after (re)starting the (remote/local) Wpkg Service?
>
> Hmm, I am not sure what is the purpose of this request. Any tool could
> read the event log messages from WPKG from the event log and display
> them. The sendStatus messages are used only to communicate the current
> state of WPKG to the GUI using STDOUT. Of course WPKG GUI could display
> a kind of "log" what it received. But this would be more a kind of
> debugging option. These status updates are not written to event log on
> purpose since as I wrote above they are meant to be an internal
> communication channel between the components.
Yes, this is clear. It's just an idea for convenience: if I restart the
wpkg service on local or remote pc from Wpkginst tool I don't have to open
event log viewer, connect to the Client, open "events", open "application"
and have a look through the messages. Easily I could have a look at the
messages in wpkg tool. Perhaps a button / link to open the application event
log of the pc there I (re)started wpkg would be ok, too.
Opening the event log of the pc and filter for "WSH" is perhaps easier to
integrate in wpkginst than opening the log file for the client, isn't it?

Best regards,
Falko

--
Falko Trojahn                     fon +49-341-3581294
Dipl-Ingenieur Netzwerke/Support  fax +49-341-3581295