[wpkg-users] WPKG Client 1.3.4 released (testing release), including 64 bit support

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Jul 8 11:48:24 CEST 2008

Hi Falko,

Falko Trojahn wrote:
> - it would be nice to have the installation status messages localized via
> config.xml - this could be easily adapted in wpkg.js using the existing
> getLocalizedString() function?

I thought about this but my initial idea of localization of status
messages has been slightly different.
The messages printed by wpkg.js (to be read by the GUI process) should
be easily readable by the GUI in order to display status information
(not just pass-on the text printed by WPKG).

For example I had in mind that the GUI could display some progress bar
(or even cake diagrams or whatever)...

For that I created some easy-to-parse printouts. So actually I think the
GUI should be responsible to display localized information to the user -
just receiving technical data from wpkg.js.

This is more compliant to the MVC principle. Here wpkg.js is the
"server/controller" part and WPKG client would be the "view" part. In
general I think the GUI should do localization and data exchange between
the controller and the view should be a technical, language-independent
format.

We might even think about different GUI styles later. One GUI might
display the names of the packages, others might just display a blinking
caret and print the number of packages installed...

> - I know, there has been yet a similar discussion about that in the list,
> but: would it be possible to get the sendStatus messages (or, at least,
> the event log messages with source WSH and Wpkg Service) on the Wpkginst
> tool page after (re)starting the (remote/local) Wpkg Service?

Hmm, I am not sure what is the purpose of this request. Any tool could
read the event log messages from WPKG from the event log and display
them. The sendStatus messages are used only to communicate the current
state of WPKG to the GUI using STDOUT. Of course WPKG GUI could display
a kind of "log" what it received. But this would be more a kind of
debugging option. These status updates are not written to event log on
purpose since as I wrote above they are meant to be an internal
communication channel between the components.