[wpkg-users] Message box for notifying users

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Jun 18 19:31:42 CEST 2008

mscdex schrieb:

(...)

> So a few days ago or so I set out to code something in jscript that
> would accomplish just this. My solution makes use of Internet Explorer
> automation and works for IE5.00 through IE7 (on both Win2k (no/any
> service packs) and WinXP (tested with SP2)). The code could use some
> more work and I may clean it up and continue work on it in the following
> days, but I was mainly concerned about it displaying the same for all
> mentioned browser versions.
>
> My message box solution right now features the ability to simply specify
> an (optional) "title bar"/header as well as the message text. Both the
> background and foreground colors of the header and message text can be
> set, and the message text can be optionally centered.
>
> One last thing, on systems with IE7 installed I had to incorporate a
> workaround to get messages to look like they do in IE5 through IE6. The
> reason for this is because with IE7, there has been a security check put
> in place to keep scripts on websites from resizing less than 250px wide
> and 100px tall (and from setting certain unallowed window positions).
> Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a way to get around this using pure
> WSH scripting so I wrote a tiny little AutoIt script (and compiled it to
> exe form) that bypasses said limitations and it only executes when IE7
> is detected.
>
> If anyone is interested in what I currently have, let me know and I'll
> see if I can host it somewhere.

I suppose it will work when the user is already logged in? Wouldn't it
be annoying to the user?

You may check something similar - see
http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/wpkg-users/2008-February/thread.html#2628
("wpkg via Group Policies" thread).

Do you have any screenshots etc.?

It could be also worth to make a separate page in wiki for such
user-contributed stuff.