[wpkg-users] install apps at logon instead of boot?

Arthur van Dongen Arthur.van.Dongen at tsolve.com
Tue May 13 22:57:11 CEST 2008

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org] On Behalf Of Tomasz
Chmielewski
>Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:48 PM
>To: Joe
>Cc: wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
>Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] install apps at logon instead of boot?
>
>Joe schrieb:
>> Is there a way (by using the wpkg windows client) that apps can be
>> installed when a user logs on instead of when the computer boots?
The
>> user will not have admin rights.  Can the wpkg service somehow be
told
>> to start processing at logon?
>
>With WPKG Client, no it's not possible.
>
>But if I remember correctly, it is possible to do so using Windows Task
Scheduler, and perhaps Policies, too.

If you set up a scheduled task and supply a username/password, the
restricted user can run the task as the configured user without having
to know the password. He can start the task whenever required, in
addition to the configured periodic runs, for example when a package has
been added to the profile upon his request. That is not possible when
using AD group policy startup scripts.

>Why do you want to install software when the user logs in? I wouldn't
recommend it, because the user can easily prevent an installation or
upgrade in some >cases (i.e., by opening a file which needs to be
replaced).

>--
>Tomasz Chmielewski

Arthur van Dongen