[wpkg-users] unexpected installation of already installed package

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue May 20 19:05:49 CEST 2008

Hi Mark,

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> I was beginning to edit a package definition in "packages.xml" with the intention of
> gradually fixing and testing it.  The package was already installed on a number of
> workstations, but I did not change the revision number, which was zero.  I revised
> some of the install and upgrade commands and I changed the check condition.
>
> I was surprised to find that workstations were trying to install the package when
> they booted.  As I said, the package was already installed on the workstations and
> there was no change in the revisions number.  I'm guessing the workstations noticed
> the change in the check condition (which they did not meet) and decided an
> installation (not an upgrade) was needed.
>
> Expected behavior or a little bug?

You could be right. The install function took the server side definition
to check if a package is installed. In your case you probably got a log
entry like
"Installed but checks failed. Re-Installing."

I will verify this. I think WPKG should use the checks defined in local
wpkg.xml to check if a package is still installed.

The change should be simple. Just change

if (isInstalled(packageNode)) {

if (isInstalled(installedPackage)) {

somewhere at line 2450. As a result WPKG will execute the checks if a
package is installed by using the locally defined checks.

After tests (and probably your feedback too) I will include it within
the next patch release.