[wpkg-users] wpkg and firewalls/scanners....

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Oct 15 23:09:46 CEST 2008

Kevin Landers schrieb:
> I have just started playing with wpkg. I have created a samba share and
> loaded 7zip via the client. So far, I am impressed and pleased.
>
> I am curious as to how wpkg deals with firewalls and other programs that
> are installed to protect against installation of spyware. For example, I
> could foresee a huge issue with firewall software such as Comodo
> Firewall with Defense+ running.
>
> In a normal installation of software by a user, Comodo Firewall has to
> be set to treat the installer as an actual installer and prompts the
> user for permission to do so.

WPKG does not know anything about firewalls or virus scanners.

If you set up your firewall so that you can't access your file server
any more, well, it means you screwed the configuration and won't be able
to access the files!

As of virus scanners, YMMV. There are dozens of vendors, with different
configuration options.

If your virus scanner is really intrusive and it asks for confirmation
even if you want to start notepad.exe or similar, I suggest changing the
antivirus - programs are supposed to help, not to make more work.

Or, if your antivirus can be configured to bypass scanning processes
started by the SYSTEM user, set up your WPKG Client to start as a SYSTEM
user (default, and recommended).