[wpkg-users] wpkg and firewalls/scanners....

Kevin Landers landersk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 15:24:01 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:

> Kevin Landers schrieb:
>
>> I have just started playing with wpkg. I have created a samba share and
>> loaded 7zip via the client. So far, I am impressed and pleased.
>>
>> I am curious as to how wpkg deals with firewalls and other programs that
>> are installed to protect against installation of spyware. For example, I
>> could foresee a huge issue with firewall software such as Comodo Firewall
>> with Defense+ running.
>>
>> In a normal installation of software by a user, Comodo Firewall has to be
>> set to treat the installer as an actual installer and prompts the user for
>> permission to do so.
>>

> WPKG does not know anything about firewalls or virus scanners.
>
> If you set up your firewall so that you can't access your file server any
> more, well, it means you screwed the configuration and won't be able to
> access the files!
>
> As of virus scanners, YMMV. There are dozens of vendors, with different
> configuration options.
>
> If your virus scanner is really intrusive and it asks for confirmation even
> if you want to start notepad.exe or similar, I suggest changing the
> antivirus - programs are supposed to help, not to make more work.
>
> Or, if your antivirus can be configured to bypass scanning processes
> started by the SYSTEM user, set up your WPKG Client to start as a SYSTEM
> user (default, and recommended).
>

> --
> Tomasz Chmielewski
> http://wpkg.org

Thomasz/All,

*Sorry for the direct email. Thought I was actually replying to the list at
the time.*

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware that my firewall could block file serving, etc. That is not my
question though.

Comodo Firewall for example tries to learn what programs should be allowed
to run and which ones should not. IE, "Do you want to allow Firefox to
connect to blah blah blah...."

When running installers under Comodo, you are allowed to set Comodo to allow
the installer to act just like that, an installer. Then the program
continues to install without being hindered by Comodo.

I suppose my question is whether something like Comodo would hinder wpkg and
also how it might affect trying to rollout firewall applications such as
Comodo through wpkg.

I suppose one question might help to answer a bit of this. Does wpkg run
prior to any firewall software kicking in? I have noticed that the wpkg
screen pops up before I login. I am not sure whether the firewalls are
running at that point in time or not. I even wonder if perhaps firewalls
might be set as a dependency for wpkg (or vice-versa - whichever way makes
sense) so that wpkg is allowed to run before the firewall service is
started. Or, perhaps we could even set firewall/virus scanner application
services to "Manual" under Windows and then create and run a batch at the
very end of each wpkg process to start the firewall/scanner services.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
landersk