[wpkg-users] Again this: The network location cannot be reached

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 27 08:47:31 CET 2008

Hi,

Dejan Batic wrote:
> WPKG Service trying start...
>
> WPKG Service->RegisterServiceCtrlHandler: successfuly done
>
> WPKG Service->SERVICE_START_PENDING: successfuly done
>
> Starting WPKG on startup
>
> Before create shared memory: successfuly done.
>
> Create shared memory: successfuly done.
>
> Set script security context: successfuly done.
>
> Network resource required
>
> WNetAddConnection2-> The network location cannot be reached. For
> information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
>
> Working done. Perform cleanup.

I actually never experienced such problems yet but it seems to happen
from on some specific configurations. To me the most plausible answer is
that it might be related to the network driver. As I indicated already I
had some issues some time ago with a network adapter where the driver
was somehow preventing me to log in to a domain controller immediately
after the logon screen appeared. I had to wait for another half a minute
until the network connection was ready to be used. I think this happened
to me on a machine using an ASUS A7N8X-E rev. 2 with a 3Com GBE
interface (the nVidia 100Mbps network interface was doing fine).

There are two more hints I would like to throw into the round:

802.1x authentication
=====================
If 802.1x authentication used within the network there could be some
problems to reach the package server via a service which is run before
the user logs on (and 802.1x authentication takes place).

Personal firewall
=================
Some software firewalls might prevent any service from network
communication during boot/shutdown. I think for example there is such an
option within the configuration of the Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall -
this might prevent the WPKG service to connect to the package server
during boot or shutdown.
In such ceses you might try to tweak the firewall settings or completely
turn it off.
Please also note that some Antivirus programs are bundled with a
firewall too. So uninstalling any Antivirus tool might help debugging.

Personally I use no custom firewall application (just Windows XP/Vista
built-in firewall) and Avira AntiVir on my machines. On one site I am
using a quiet old version of McAfee without firewalling as well without
any problems.