[wpkg-users] Again this: The network location cannot be reached

Dejan Batic dbatic at un-instraw.org
Mon Oct 27 21:03:13 CET 2008

> Hi,
>
> Dejan Batic wrote:
> > WPKG Service trying start...
> >
> > WPKG Service->RegisterServiceCtrlHandler: successfuly done
> >
> > WPKG Service->SERVICE_START_PENDING: successfuly done
> >
> > Starting WPKG on startup
> >
> > Before create shared memory: successfuly done.
> >
> > Create shared memory: successfuly done.
> >
> > Set script security context: successfuly done.
> >
> > Network resource required
> >
> > WNetAddConnection2-> The network location cannot be reached. For
> > information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
> >
> > Working done. Perform cleanup.
>
> I actually never experienced such problems yet but it seems to happen
> from on some specific configurations. To me the most plausible answer
> is
> that it might be related to the network driver. As I indicated already
> had some issues some time ago with a network adapter where the driver
> was somehow preventing me to log in to a domain controller immediately
> after the logon screen appeared. I had to wait for another half a
> minute
> until the network connection was ready to be used. I think this
> happened
> to me on a machine using an ASUS A7N8X-E rev. 2 with a 3Com GBE
> interface (the nVidia 100Mbps network interface was doing fine).
>
> There are two more hints I would like to throw into the round:
>
> 802.1x authentication
> =====================
> If 802.1x authentication used within the network there could be some
> problems to reach the package server via a service which is run before
> the user logs on (and 802.1x authentication takes place).
>
> Personal firewall
> =================
> Some software firewalls might prevent any service from network
> communication during boot/shutdown. I think for example there is such
> an
> option within the configuration of the Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall
> -
> this might prevent the WPKG service to connect to the package server
> during boot or shutdown.
> In such ceses you might try to tweak the firewall settings or
> completely
> turn it off.
> Please also note that some Antivirus programs are bundled with a
> firewall too. So uninstalling any Antivirus tool might help debugging.
>
> Personally I use no custom firewall application (just Windows XP/Vista
> built-in firewall) and Avira AntiVir on my machines. On one site I am
> using a quiet old version of McAfee without firewalling as well without
> any problems.

Well, I read a lot of posts regarding this subject. In the end I posted
because it happens even with Intel NIC. I even made a clean install (with
SP3) without anti-virus and firewall is off.

If I can, I'll try to do a clean install with SP2 to see if there is any
difference (becoming desperate I guess :) ).

Cheers,

Dejan