[wpkg-users] OpenVPN

K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 23:48:17 CET 2008

Hiya,

- -----Original Message-----
- From: wpkg-users-bounces at lists.wpkg.org [mailto:wpkg-users-
- bounces at lists.wpkg.org] On Behalf Of Rainer Meier
- Sent: 28 October 2008 15:49
- To: Tarjei Huse
- Cc: wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
- Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] OpenVPN
-
- Hi,
-
- Tarjei Huse wrote:
- > Hi, does anyone happen to have a working example for installing
- OpenVPN?
- >
- > I'm a WPKG newbie so I was hoping someone had done some of the
- > groundwork before me.
-
- I started to create a WPKG package for it but there are some
- problems...
-
- You can use the "/S" switch to make the installer silently. Example:
-
- openvpn-2.1_rc13-install.exe /S
-
- Unfortunately for me this did not work out properly as Windows keeps
- asking for confirmation when the virtual TAP device driver is
installed
- (using Vista Business x64). The same also appears for applications
like
- VirtualBox, Wireshark or Hamachi. So I did not yet start to deploy
such
- applications automatically. However it might be possible to set the
- driver signing policy to "ignore" within Windows Vista group policy in
- order to get rid of such messages and install it silently.
-
- br,
- Rainer

 They don't half make it complicated nowadays :-)

 You could also have a look at the properties of the driver files and
see
if they're signed. If they are, viewing the certificate details usually
gives you
the option to install the certificate into the certificate store.

[I was really rushed when I did this so I'm sorry it's a bit scant on
details!]

 Once you get it into the store you can use the certificate wizards to
extract a .cer (or was it a .pk7/.pks?) file that can be added to group
policies
as a trusted certificate.

[I remember exporting every format the wizards gave me in the hope group
policy
would take one of them and it did take one of them. I just can't
remember which
format it was! Doh!]

 It's probably less of a worry doing it that way than turning off driver
signing
policies.

 I hope that makes sense...

Keefy