[wpkg-users] WPKG Client: WNetAddConnection2 "Access Denied" Error

Kai Pastor dg0yt at darc.de
Fri Sep 26 13:54:39 CEST 2008

> From: Tomasz Chmielewski [mailto:mangoo at wpkg.org]
> > 1. I do not know whether this connection setup is needed when a user is
> > specified in wpkg.inst, but it doesn't work in the computer account/DFS
> > setup. Can this be fixed?
>
> I didn't understand what you mean here.

My setup:
- The computer is a member in an Active Directory domain.
- WPKG client is running as local user "System".
- The wpkg.js script is located in the DFS and readable to the AD computer
account. User "System" implicitly uses the AD computer account for
authorizing to DFS. Thus I leave the "WPKG path user" field empty.

Now the trouble is:
(1) When I enter a plain UNC path, WPKG Client detects this and tries to
execute the WNetAddConnection2 stuff. This fails, probably because I didn't
specify "WPKG path user/password". WPKG Client stops. "Test settings..."
reports the WNetAddConnection2 error, but succeeds to read the script.
(2) When I put double quotes around the UNC path, WPKG Client no longer
detects that this is a network path, and skips the WNetAddConnection2 stuff.
It successfully executes the WPKG script. "Test settings.." reports failure
for reading the script.

So what I kindly ask for is:
- to make (1) work. E.g. don't call WNetAddConnection2 when no user is
specified (if that is the cause).
- to make "Test settings..." report no errors in an actually working setup.

I think it shouldn't be necessary to enter double quotes in the "WPKG file
path" field, but this the only workaround for me at the moment. I'm using
this setup (2) for months and wasn't aware of the stumbling stone until I
tried to prepare a demo installation for someone else.

Thank you,
Kai Pastor.