[wpkg-users] Timeout value precedence

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Mon Apr 6 18:58:28 CEST 2009

Rainer Meier wrote:
Hi Stefan,

Pendl Stefan wrote:
> Imagine following situation:
> Installation will last for 5 minutes usually, there is no timeout specified explicitly.
> Now this installation hangs for one hour, since there is no timeout specified in the package.

Why should it "hang" for 1 hour then?
As Tomasz already explained there are two types of timeouts:
- A timeout per COMMAND. This timeout is set to 3600 seconds per default (1
hour). WPKG (the server-side js script) will terminate the command if it does
not finish its job before the timeout is reached.

- A timeout for the whole WPKG service run time. WPKG client terminates wpkg.js
if it runs for longer than this amount of time.

BUT: Remember that if a command terminates after 1 sec for instance, then
wpkg.js will return immediately and also the service terminates immediately
after wpkg.js finished its job. So if all your installations are running
properly and finish within 30 seconds, then WPKG client will run no longer than
30 seconds - even if you set the timeout to 1 hour.

So set the timeout as high as possible to complete the longest operation
expected. The timeout is mainly there in order to prevent WPKG (client or
server-side) to block the machine too long in case something goes wrong (e.g.
installer asking for user input and does not terminate/finish therefore.

------------------------------
Hi Rainer,
          the reason why the installation hangs, which usually only needs 5 minutes is unknown, it just can happen.
Yes, I noticed, that if there are no problems, WPKG will end in a timely frame.

To summarize:

1) WPKG Client sets the overall timeout
2) packages set the install command timeout

OK, now I know why some things did not finish their installation, since the overall timeout expired.

I am currently preparing to install a high end CAD application.
The base installation takes ~15 minutes, an additional package ~5 minutes, the documentation ~30 minutes, the service pack ~15 minutes and the patch ~15 minutes.
This results in 15 + 5 + 30 + 15 + 15 = 1 hour 20 minutes only for this installation.
So the one hour overall timeout is not enough and I will have to increase the timeout, if any additional regular packages are installed with it too.

I think I have read all the documentation available, but I did not find the two timeout specifications you listed above.

Thanks for clarifying,
Stefan