[wpkg-users] Timeout value precedence

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Apr 6 19:06:23 CEST 2009

Hi Stefan,

Pendl Stefan wrote:
>           the reason why the installation hangs, which usually only needs 5 minutes is unknown, it just can happen.
> Yes, I noticed, that if there are no problems, WPKG will end in a timely frame.

Hmm, usually this is because of interactive installation commands (asking for
user input in hidden window).
Unfortunately some installers might run perfectly silently when run as
Administrator user but might pop up a window when run as SYSTEM or another user.
But these are very rare cases. Try running your installation with silent
switches manually to see if they are really silent.

More common are installers which are perfectly silent on test systems but on
productive environment they ask whether to upgrade/remove an existing
(outdated?) component. Very annoying, but that's life and WPKG cannot solve
these situations for you.

For example the VLC installation is perfectly silent unless you already have VLC
installed, then it asks interactively whether to remove the previous version.
The solution is to silently uninstall the old version before applying the new
version, then it runs silently. Very annoying.

> To summarize:
>
> 1) WPKG Client sets the overall timeout
> 2) packages set the install command timeout
>
> OK, now I know why some things did not finish their installation, since the overall timeout expired.
>
> I am currently preparing to install a high end CAD application.
> The base installation takes ~15 minutes, an additional package ~5 minutes, the documentation ~30 minutes, the service pack ~15 minutes and the patch ~15 minutes.
> This results in 15 + 5 + 30 + 15 + 15 = 1 hour 20 minutes only for this installation.
> So the one hour overall timeout is not enough and I will have to increase the timeout, if any additional regular packages are installed with it too.

In this case you're right. You need longer WPKG client timeout. WPKG itself you
don't need to tweak nor you need to add timeouts to the commands because the
default of 1 hour is enough for all your commands.

> I think I have read all the documentation available, but I did not find the two timeout specifications you listed above.

Well, no documentation is perfect. Feel free to contribute ;-)