[wpkg-users] Vista

Chris Wilcox not_rich_yet at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 27 20:40:33 CEST 2009

> From: stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
> To: wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:52:35 +0200
> Subject: Re: [wpkg-users] Vista
>
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Chris Wilcox schrieb:
>
> > > I have no experience with Vista, still no need to use it.
> > > Best is to try on a test system, there is nothing that can get broken.
> > > Start with something simple and advance.
> >
> > How does running WPKG at shutdown affect packages that need a reboot? If
> > there are multiple package installs pending, and package1 reboots the
> > PC, does the shutdown process get triggered straight away and package2
> > install continues, or does it wait for the user to initiate a shutdown
> > the next day?
>
> The reboot will happen as you specify it in package definition; reboot
> doesn't depend on WPKG being launched on startup, shutdown, or in the
> middle of the user session (i.e. in Administrator's cmd.exe window).
>

> --
> Tomasz Chmielewski
> http://wpkg.org<http://wpkg.org/>
> Chris,
> a reboot is usually needed to remove locked files, since you are shutting down the machine, there is no reboot needed.
> The system will do the necessary actions at the next boot.

I'm being finickety and I apologise :)

I have some apps which in themselves trigger a reboot (our antivirus product for example).  If there is this then a 2nd package listed for install, I assume that the 2nd package will not get installed until the next shutdown and this shutdown will not be triggered by wpkg as it is only running at shutdown?

I mainly ask because I am still trying to decide which is the best option for me: wpkg at start-up or shutdown, and so far having it run at start-up still seems the better option.

Chris