[wpkg-users] Basic behaviour of WPKG

simplesi siwalters at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:49:10 CEST 2009

Hi - I've been on holiday but back now :)

Rainer Meier wrote:

> A negative effect would be that after a while there might be pretty much
> packages in wpkg.xml where no remove command is specified and where there
> is no
> corresponding package on server side...

All these points are true but I believe are not relavent if no remove
command exists :)
(apart from execution speed obviously).

> Well in theory it's a bit "special" but for me and many others it seem to
> work
> properly and was helpful in many cases...

I can see it is helpful but I still believe that it is illogical as default
behaviour.

Maybe "special" behaviour should need a flag and default behaviour should do
not do an upgrade before remove? :)

> These "multiple attempts" should be done on test systems...

In a lot of cases, I do not have testing systems or testing time :(
I use WPKG to automate tasks and I have to quickly decide whether it is
quicker to run around 15 -30 machines and do the task by hand or quickly
write a package to do this instead.

That is why my packages are simple with usually just one install cmd, one
upgrade cmd and no checks or remove cmds.

> I think in most cases a "hunter-seeker" package is less convenient to
> users.
> And how should this work now? Should this "hunter-seeker" package have
> install-commands which remove the second software? Which checks do you
> define
> for the "hunter-seeker" package? How is the "hunter-seeker" package
> handled and
> uninstalled itself?

If I decide not use a remove command then I must accept consequences :)

I don't think my hunter seeker idea is very good but I offered it as an
alternative to what I see
as illogical basic behaviour

I don't think WPKG should decide to do something I've not asked it to.

I kindly ask you to give us some more insight on your use-case.
> If possible make a few examples where your use-case will be in place and
> why you
> can't do that with the current implementation.

I can do nearly everything with the current implementation (but believe that
the default upgrade before remove behaviour should not be default as it is
not logical) except for not removing packages.

Ever since I started using wpkg years ago, I've found it a problem with
either wpkg reporting zombies or trying to re-install a package if/when I've
made a slight error in a host name or profile.

My request that wpkg does nothing if no remove command is specified seemed a
simple and effective way to make life easier for us simple folk :)

> I can always try to allow you a bit more flexibility but it's difficult or
> impossible to implement conflicting requirements.

I think it is easy to implement my request :)

Best way from my viewpoint is to just not remove package from wpkg.xml if no
remove command.

2nd best way is to make /NoForcedRemove flag actually not remove a package
from wpkg.xml if no remove command specified

regards
Simon