[wpkg-users] Silent installs of MSI or exe files.

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Mon Aug 10 22:37:05 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 10. August 2009 21:40:15 schrieb David Christensen:
> Charles Gargent wrote:
> >> Is anyone familiar with modifying msi files by way of mst to do silent
> >> installs, is this even possible?

[...]
> > Besides, anything you can run on the command line can be run in WPKG
> > (if there are many command lines to run putting them in a batch file
> > is a good idea.
>
> I started investigating the mst option, but was unsure if that option
> would work via WPKG.  With the issue at hand I need to include a new ini
> file that contains site specific configuration options.  I downloaded
> orca and created an mst, but wasn't clear on how to include the ini as
> part of the mst or even what needed to be the final output after
> everything  was changed.  This is about the time I started looking at
> autoit, but based on your response it doesn't look like a valid solution.
>
> I'd like to try toe msi/mst route but I have limited knowledge of this
> area, any pointers on where to look for howtos etc would be appreciated.

Hi David,

you might have a look at this one: http://www.instedit.com/ it's IMHO quite
nicer to handle than orca.  Then you just use sth. along the lines of
msiexec /i path\to\setup.msi TRANSFORMS=path\to\transform.mst /qn /norestart
as install command.  Alternatively, if it's only about dropping an additional
file into the target system, you might as well install the msi without
transform and add another command like
%COMSPEC% /c copy /y path\to\config.ini path\to\destination\

HTH,
Malte